Monday 18 June 2012

What kind of world is it when people like you are ready to kill?

The final question of the interview, and I think of what I know of the character I part play, part parody, part ignore completely. 

I have no emotional connection to Ulrike, even after the intimate voice has told me all about her - my - life. How my -her- parents died. How she loved her children. How I screamed and fought the police when they arrested me. How I struggled and cried out, lifting her feet, during my identity parade. 

This is not me, and I'm torn between her reply and mine. The fracture probably obvious throughout the interrogation - sorry, interview. Because, even though I understand her, and know now where her actions first became thoughts, I still don't connect with her. Because they weren't my choices - and they weren't how I would have reacted. 

My anger may burn hard, and normally result in my fist or foot in someone's softer area's - but when challenged I go cold. Icy venom pours from me, rather than screaming fits, and curses. I don't argue like that. No - too many hours spent with too logical a father to argue like that. At least, not about this.

"What kind of world is it when people like you are ready to kill?"

It's supposed to make me think. It's supposed to make me question what my morals are; but instead a stream of answers run through my head and I have to hold them back.

A real one.
A safe one.
One where I won't be messed with.
One where I can protect what's mine.
The one outside these walls where everyone is secretly ready to kill. 

It's the kind of world where choices are everything.
One where change is imminent.
It doesn't matter either way, because it's the fact I choose not to that makes me who I am. 

But then I drift out and remember that I'm not there. I'm not part of the art project, I'm just reading about it. Hell, it took place in Venice - I've never left England. 
So what is it about this 'Moral hazard' crap that's got me so sucked in?


A tram looses control and rolls down its tracks. In its path are five people. You have the choice to pull a lever and switch the tram to a second track - but there's someone tied to it. Do you sacrifice the one person to save the five?


Well, personally, no. 
Why? Not because I'm a heartless bitch who couldn't care less if five people died. Not because I'm a wimp who's afraid to make the decision. But because I see a huge error with the wording of this problem:
Why point out that the one person is tied to the tracks, but not say the same about the other five? It's simple to assume this means the other five are not tied down. Therefore, they can get out of the way. The person tied down can't. Who in there right mind takes away one persons choice just to make five other peoples lives easier??
Answer: 90% of the GEDC's in the world. Yeah, that's right - 90% of people living in a non-poverty stricken country do this every day. They take away the rights of the poverty stricken who have no choice to make life easier for those with money. Sweat shops, non-fair trade, and the millions of other ways we exploit people in "third world" countries. 


You know what? The reality of moral judgement is actually this:
A tram looses control and rolls down its tracks. In its path is a person collapsed on the rails from exhaustion. There's a switch in the track that allows you to aim the tram at 5 people meandering over the tracks instead. Over that switch stands a business man, his lawyer, and his insurance broker, who decided that a dead person can't sue them for endangering their life - but five people who might get injured will probably win in court. And it doesn't matter how hard you push through the guards they have set up around them, you can't get to that switch, and you can't get the business man to change his mind. All you can do is try to race towards the collapsed person and drag them off the tracks. Are you willing to risk death to pull a complete stranger out of harms way?


No?

Welcome to the real world - where politics and morality turn into who has more power and who's too scared to risk it. After all, if you die trying to save them, you can't tell people how mean the business man was. 


Our lives are so wrapped up in fear and miss direction that the terrorist issue is a kick back at - like a child kicking their parents when they see that they aren't as wonderful as they'd always thought. Society takes the parental role, punishes the naughty child for attacking Mummy or Daddy, and looks to everyone else for support. After all, politicians know best. 

So how do you get to punish society for its wrong doings?
Simple, you show the world how bad they've been. 

->Insert some graphic photo of people thousands of miles away dying and expect someone to care.

You can't expect the general public to take responsibility for the 'crimes' of society - and you can't expect the people who are in the position of power to give a crap. How do you think they got there in the first place?
Everyone knows you have to step on the down trodden to get to the upper echelons of power and authority. That's what the pyramid on your money is all about, remember?


So what can you actually do?
Sit and get angry, write something, complain about how the world is corrupt and there's nothing you can do about it...?
No, it doesn't help - but can you think of anything better? Anything that would actually work??

The world's gone mad. 


People complaining about invasion of privacy. Of technology taking over their lives. Of not being able to get any peace without someone interrupting it.

Are we actually that blind?
Are we actually that stupid?

HELLO!!! IT'S CALLED AN OFF BUTTON!!!


You don't want people to know everything that's going on in your life? Don't post it all on Facebook!!
You don't want to be called all the time, or text constantly? Turn off your phone!
You think there's no way to live without technology in this day and age? Get a freaking brain already.


Technology is here to help. It's not here to take over. It's not here to invade your privacy. It's not here so you become dependant on it so that the government or whoever has another control over you!
It's just an AID!! (not to be mistaken with the other one that has an s on the end of course)

You choose how far you integrate it into your life on a daily basis. 
Exercise some self restraint for goodness sake!

And if you're one of those people who doesn't feel the need to answer ever phone call, and every text, and every facebook notification that you've set to come through to your smartphone, and every game notification that pops up on your tablet pc; if you don't feel the need to update your facebook status with whatever inanety has just popped into your head every hour or so, if you don't feel you have to check other peoples status's constantly, if you don't have to check your twitter account regularly, or your emails, or your MMORPG, or your Ebay... then please ignore my rant, as I'm sure you already have thought of this and can exercise perfect restraint.

Honestly, if I have to hear someone complain again about another person updating their status too much, I'm going to write a status on a piece of paper and forcefully insert it into their cranium. And that status will be "If you dislike it so much - stop reading them!!"


And now, I believe, my rant is winding down nicely and coming to an abrupt end.

If you want to know about the art project, check out the link Ulrike and Eamon Compliant 



As always, I wish you well in all your endeavours.


Blessed Be
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment